A Special Gift To Remember A Loved One: Happy Heavenly Birthday, Dad!

It hardly seems possible that this is the second birthday since my sweet father’s death.  I miss him so much….there are no words.  But, I received a very special Christmas gift this year from my good friend, Becky – a keepsake to hold dear and remember my dad by.

IMG_8139

It’s a fresh take on the old sock monkey.  Remember those?

IMG_8141

But, in this case she used my dad’s old clothes.  Not long after he passed she asked for some socks and shirts of his, but I had no idea what she was going to do with them.  When the months passed by I just completely forgot about it.

IMG_3269

It was completely unexpected at this point.  She surprised me with it at our  annual Christmas dinner with our friends and their families.   I was so taken back and touched when she gave it to me I cried…..

IMG_3270

And, then of course, I had to laugh.  So meaningful, cute and adorable!

IMG_8142

She took a couple of my dad’s socks and made the body and his little hat.

IMG_8143

The heel of his sock became his little rumpus.

IMG_8144

The shirt buttons became his eyes….

IMG_8145

And part of his shirt became the tie.  Is this not the most precious thing you’ve ever seen?

IMG_8055

We call him Sock Papa.  And this Christmas he hung out with us for games and festivities…

IMG_8118

And, he partied right alongside us like he owned the place!  (By the way now I have family requests for more Sock Papa’s!  Becky, you up for it?!  Smile)

dad for service

Of course there is no replacement for my precious father, but what a very special little keepsake for all of us to treasure and enjoy. Melts my heart every time I look at it. And, it means more to me than I could ever put into words……thank you, Becky!

Miss you my sweet daddy!

Happy Birthday!

8 comments for “A Special Gift To Remember A Loved One: Happy Heavenly Birthday, Dad!

1. Jan Davis.
    January 2, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Sheri, Sheri, Sheri!!! I have to make one for my mother who passed away three years ago. Do you think Becky would share her pattern with me. Tell Plleeeeaassseee.

2. January 2, 2013 at 11:47 pm

🙂 Yes, I do….I’ll check with her and get back with you. Isn’t it just the sweetest thing!?

3. susan
    January 3, 2013 at 2:15 am

Oh, my goodness. The coolest! Becky, you are amazing. Sheri, what a sweet friend you have!!!

4. Lisa Derrick
    January 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Sheri~ What a blessing….I love sock Papa!! Especially the “rumpus” so cute!! What a sweet friend to do that for you. I would have balled my eyes out. I lost my dad in March. His birthday is Jan 17th. We miss him too and he was “Papa” to my kids too. What a wonderful gift she gave you. Praying for your family. Thanks for sharing 🙂

• January 3, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Thank you so much Lisa. Yes…..a blessing for sure. I did start balling, but I had a group of friends standing around me and another 25 friends and family in the house so I had to resume control quickly. (In fact when she asked my husband if she should give it to me in front of everyone or privately he suggested she and my girlfriends give it to me privately away from the rest of the husbands, kids and grandkids, because he knew how it would affect me. And, he was right.) I’ve actually cried many times since then just looking at it. But, it makes me smile, too! Thanks for you sweet comment. Prayers back to you and your family. Healing and coming to grips with the loss take time, no doubt, but it does come and the precious memories are there to stay. 🙂

5. G
    January 16, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Sheri … this is the sweetest thiing I’ve seen… ever so sweet. God bless U and u sweet friend… !

6. January 16, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Thank you so much. I know….so sweet and precious. Thanks for sharing and God bless you right back!