Last month, with Terrie at Decorate and More with Tip as our host, I participated with a group of fellow IG-ers/Bloggers in a DIY project creating our own customized doormats. Although I felt like mine probably wouldn’t measure up to the others I was glad I completed it, because I actually really like having a personalized mat. And, in the end I feel like it held its own somewhat with all the others after all. You can see it here.
Terrie is hosting this months rope challenge as well. And, just like last time I feel the very same way I did last month…doubtful mine will measure up to everyone else’s! But, I decided to go for it anyway. I’m not sure why I feel inferior about these projects, but I do! I mean….I am a DIY’er at the core of my being, but when I’m in a challenge like this with true blue crafters it’s a bit intimidating. I don’t know….maybe it’s something lacking in my childhood that makes me feel so inferior, but I guess we’ll never know! Inferior or not at least I gave it a whirl!
I’m not going to lie…I took the easy route, because basically I had no idea how to make one so I was just winging it.
Since I’ve been planting a bunch of plants around here lately I happen to have what I felt would be the perfect plastic container to use as my base. (Not sure how everyone else is doing it.)
This was the perfect size and color for the project. It even kind of looks like rope or rattan or something. So I decided to use this as a base to make it easy on myself.
I got six strands of rope at the Dollar Tree for….you guessed it…..$1.00 each. I can’t claim credit for knowing they sold it. One of the other girls mentioned that was where she got hers so I set out to get mine since that’s my kind of price!
I started at the bottom of the container and just began by running hot glue along the edge and carefully placing the rope along the glue strand.
I just continued wrapping the container with strands of glue and the rope, careful to glue the ends together to appear as seamless as possible.
Fortunately I thought to get what I thought would be an “extra” rope, because I ended up using every last bit of it. Shockingly I only burned the youknowwhat out of my fingers once!
I just kept wrapping and wrapping until it was entirely covered.
I know there’s a better way to do the handles, but since I knew I wasn’t going to actually used this as a basket where I would need strong handles I decided to just glue them on the inside of the base on both sides to give it the appearance of a “real” basket. But, I certainly couldn’t put much weight in here and expect the handles to support it. So it’s basically just for “looks”
And, that’s just fine for how I’ll be using it.
Since it’s actually a plant container there are already holes in the bottom for drainage so for right now I have a couple of caladiums in here. That may change…not sure. But, I am sure I like the way it turned out. It’s kind of cute and could be used for any one of a number of things.
So, yeah, I’m sure it’s not the caliber of my fellow DIY-ers, but at least it turned out usable! And, the total cost was $6.00 in rope.
I’m good with that!
To tour the other DIY blogs and see what they came up with check out my fellow bloggers below: